Dhoklas are in itself very healthy recipe which you can have in your breakfast or as a snack. It is an all-time favorite Gujarati Snack item. There are many varieties of dhokla which can be prepared like Sandwich Dhokla, Khatta Dhokla, Tricolor Dhokla etc. New variety of dhokla recipe which I am sharing today is Palak Dhokla. I am making dhokla recipe healthier by adding one more healthy ingredient i.e. Spinach Leaves (Palak). As we all know spinach is full of Vitamins and Minerals so we must include it in our diet. We can have spinach in any form like soup, curry, raitas etc.
For all recipes visit – RECIPE INDEX
Step – by – Step Video of Palak Dhokla (Please Subscribe my Channel)
Serving – Will Serve 4-5 People
- Rice – 1 ½ Cups
- Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) – ½ Cup
- Urad Dal (Black Gram, Split and Skinless) – ¼ Cup
- Yogurt (Curd) – 1 Cup
- Water – ½ Cup
- Spinach Leaves – 10 -12 Nos.
- Green Chillies – 2 Nos.
- Salt to Taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 Tsp.
- Asafoetida – Pinch
- Fruit Salt (Baking Soda) – ½ Tsp.
- Oil – 1 Tbsp. + 4 Tbsp. for Tadka
- Mustard Seeds – 1 Tbsp.
- Curry Leaves – 10-12 Nos.
- Wash rice, chana dal and urad dal with clean water and soak them overnight.
- Transfer soaked ingredients in a grinder and add in curd and water and grind them (Batter should be of flowing consistency).
- Transfer batter in a bowl and keep it at a warm place for fermentation for atleast 5-6 hours.
- Boil water in a pan for blanching of spinach leaves.
- Add spinach leaves in a boiled water and leave it for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes transfer leaves in an ice water for 5 minutes.
- Take a grinder and add in blanched spinach leaves.
- Add in roughly chopped green chillies and grind them to make a fine puree.
- Add puree in a fermented batter and mix.
- Add in red chilli powder, salt and asafoetida and mix.
- Add in oil and mix.
- At the time of pouring the batter in a greased plate, just add soda and mix.
- Fill heavy bottomed vessel with 2 glass of water and keep stand in it and place greased plate on it.
- Pour the batter in a greased plate and cover it and start steaming it for atleast 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes. just check dhokla by inserting knife. And if knife comes out clean that mean dhokla is ready and if not then steam it for few more minutes.
- Allow dhokla to cool down completely and then cut it into pieces.
- For tadka, heat oil in a pan and add in mustard seeds.
- When seeds crackle add in broken curry leaves.
- Drizzle tadka on a dhokla and serve.
- If you want you can add ginger garlic paste also in the batter. It will give nice taste to the dish.
- Always wash leafy vegetables with clean water for 2-3 times before using them in any recipe.
- Use sour curd for making the batter.
- Adjust quantity of green chilli according to your taste.
Please try this recipe and share your feedback with me.