Gajar ka Halwa is an Indian sweet dessert made from carrot, milk, ghee and sugar. This halwa is very popular in North India. It is mostly prepared during winter season because good quality carrots are available during this season and the ghee (clarified butter) used in this recipe energizes the body in the cold weather.
You can make it on any occasion or festival or anytime whenever you desire to eat any sweet dish. It is very easy but time consuming process. It will take around 1-1 ½ hour to cook but it will taste awesome.
It is a tradition in my family to start a new year with this halwa. We use to make it in bulk and enjoy it for 2-3 days. You can store this halwa in a fridge for at least 1 week. Just warm it before serving to anyone. There will be no change in taste.
Step – by – Step Video of Gajar ka Halwa (Please Subscribe and Support)
Serving – 6
- Gajar (Carrot) – 2 Kg.
- Milk – 2 Kg.
- Sugar – 1 Cup (Adjust sweetness according to your taste)
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – ¾ Cup
- Chopped Almonds and Cashew Nuts
- Rinse, peel and grate carrot with the help of a grater or food processor.
- Now add grated carrot in a pressure cooker and pressure cook it. Don’t add any water as carrot will release its own water. Pressure cooks it till one whistle on high flame.
- Side by side take milk in a deep thick bottomed pan and start boiling it.
- Stir milk occasionally so that it will not stick to the bottom of pan.
- Boil milk till it reduces to ¼ of its quantity.
- Now add pressure cooked carrots in boiled milk and mix it with milk and cook both ingredients together till carrot absorbs milk completely.
- Now add ghee and cook it for atleast 15 mins.
- Add sugar and mix and cook it till it dissolves completely.
- As soon as sugar dissolves, gajar ka halwa is ready.
- Garnish it with some chopped almonds and cashew nuts and serve.
Enjoy this yummy halwa and share your feedback with me.