Kachori is a spicy snack. It is a deep fried round flattened ball made of all – purpose flour with a stuffing of cooked lentils, gram flour and spices. Kachori is a popular breakfast in India, which you will find everywhere. It is very easy to make and delicious to eat.
There are different types of Kachori like Pyaaz (Onion) Kachori, Dal Kachori, Sweet Kachori (made of potatoes with some sugar), Matar (Peas) Kachori. Dal Kachori can be served either with fried green chillies or in the form of chaat with some curd, tamarind chutney and mint & coriander chutney.
At my home it is made once or twice a month during monsoon season. I like the Kachoris that are made at home because they are more delicious as compared to outside Kachoris.
Kachoris can be made in bulk as it can be stored in fridge for couple of days.
Equipment Used –
- Measuring Cup
Prep Time – 3 Hours Cook Time – 30 Mins Total Time – 3 Hours 30 Mins Serving – 15-20
- Split Green Gram with Skin (छिलका मूंग दाल) – ¾ Cup
- Split Green Gram (मूंग दाल) – ½ Cup
- Oil (तेल) – 5 Tbsp.
- Asafoetida (हींग) – Pinch
- Mustard Seeds (राई) – 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Seeds (जीरा) – 1 Tsp.
- Fennel Seeds (सोंफ) – 1 Tsp.
- Finely Chopped Green Chillies (बारीक़ कटी हुई हरी मिर्ची) – 2 Nos.
- Gram Flour (बेसन) – 4 Tbsp.
- Mint Powder (पुदीना पाउडर) – 2 Tbsp.
- Red Chilli Powder (लाल मिर्ची पाउडर) – 2 Tbsp.
- Coriander Powder (धनिया पाउडर) – 2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder (हल्दी) – 1 Tsp.
- Salt to Taste (नमक)
- Black Pepper Powder (काली मिर्ची पाउडर) – 1 Tsp.
- All Purpose Flour (मैदा)
- Oil (तेल)
- Salt (नमक)
- Water as required to make soft dough (पानी)
- Oil (तेल)
- Wash grams 2-3 times and soak them in clean water for 3 hours.
- Take a grinder and grind soaked grams ( Texture should be coarse)
- Now take a wok and heat oil.
- Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Now add chopped green chillies and sauté for few seconds.
- Add grounded gram mixture and mix well.
- Add gram flour, mint powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and black pepper powder and mix well.
- Cook the mixture for 10-15 mins.
- Allow mixture to cool down completely
- Make small balls of mixture and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl and add in all – purpose flour, salt, oil and water and knead soft dough.
- Now cover the dough with moist muslin cloth for 15 Mins.
- After 15 mins lightly knead dough again.
- Cut dough into lemon sized balls.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Start flattening one dough ball from sides with the help of fingers.
- Put one ball of gram mixture in between the flatten dough and bring the edges together and roll it and cut extra dough.
- Again flatten sides with the help of fingers.
- Prepare all Kachoris like this.
- Now fry Kachoris in the batch of 3-4 together until color changes to golden brown and are crispy from outside.
- Serve it with fried green chillies or in the form of chaat with curd, tamarind chutney, red chilli powder, salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala.
- If the mixture is sticky then add 1-2 tbsp. of more gram flour.
- At the time of frying if Kachoris break, then just prepare a paste of gram flour, salt and water and apply it to a place from where it breaks.
Refer WordPress – https://refer.wordpress.com/r/2102/wordpress-com/